Grant Lawrence, president of Valhalla Angels Kelowna and co-president of Valhalla Angels Vancouver, has revealed which questions investors should ask founders in a bid to gain further insights into their company. Read Grant’s insights below:
How do you gather the proof of what you are looking for in a founder or the team? What questions do you ask? And during this lock down how do you interact with the founder(s)? How do you get past the ‘best behaviour on a date’ façade (if it is, in fact, a façade).
A few questions to consider, each one can lead to long conversations.
- What are you working on?
- Why this, why are you doing this?
- What does success look like?
- Why would this work now?
- What is your unfair advantage?
- How do you plan to give it back, a return to the investors?
- How do you know [insert name here], and who introduced us?
Of course, digging into each of the answers with further questions around the product, the founder and team members etc can give further insights.
In upcoming installment of the series, Grant intends to discuss the following questions:
- What is the evidence you are specifically looking for from these questions?
- How closely does this fit with your investment thesis?
- Who is doing this evidence gathering?
- How are they validating this evidence?
In a previous post, Grant discussed the hallmarks of a favorite founder.
Do you have a question about angel investing? Get in touch with Valhalla Private Capital via our contact page.